One thing I have come to learn whilst working at home, for myself is that it can be pretty darn lonely at times. I thought it was going to be the best thing ever, being my own boss, getting to work from the comfort of my own home, wearing what I like etc etc and don’t get me wrong, there are some epic perks to this but as the novelty wears off and it becomes the norm, you realise how much you thrive off of human interaction.
Over the last two, almost three years, I have met some incredible people through my business and I can confidently say that some of these have become good friends of mine. However, we don’t often get to catch up in person and a lot of our conversations are done over email or via a phone-call. I’ll admit, I miss working WITH people every day.
Social media is a great way to connect and stay in touch with people but often I feel, it doesn’t give you the full picture. You don’t see what is going on behind the scenes and how that person might be feeling from one day to the next. Recently, I ventured up to the office of Black Nova Designs owned by Kyle and Danielle Holmes for a day of inspiration, motivation and fun! I was super excited to hear of Danielle’s plans for my website and branding so keep your eyes peeled for some exciting changes in the future.
I’ll let you in to a secret, I consider myself a bit of an IT nerd. I LOVE it and so visiting the Black Nova Design’s empire, I was in my element. Walking into the office, it was pure office goals. There is something about websites, computers and all that jazz that I find so intriguing and Kyle’s master TV screen filled with live statistics is something which is most definitely on my check list for when I (eventually) get an office for In The Country. It’s good to have goals right?
Our day of positivity couldn’t have come at a better time for me, I am learning as I journey through this life of business and entrepreneurship, I don’t handle stress too well. I get stressed quite easily, much like my mother and it takes it’s toll on my health, and as I continue to go through life I am finding new and unique ways of coping with this. So, I have decided, after feeling inspired from our get-together that I am going to give you 5 Reasons To Surround Yourself With Positive People. Here goes:
1. Positivity and happiness is contagious. Have you ever walked into a room full of vibrant, bubbly and smiley people and instantly felt positive? I know I have on numerous occasions, even if prior to that I hadn’t been feeling all that fabulous. Similarly, have you ever found yourself surrounded by a group of negative, unhappy and fed up people? You’ll find that other people’s emotions will rub off on you and have an impact on the way you feel. Choose the company of happy, positive and motivated people and you won’t be able to help but soak up some of that positivity!
2. The most successful people are those who have a happy, healthy and positive approach to life.Happiness and positivity influence success. Don’t get me wrong, there is much more to it being successful in business and in life than that. However, with that said, generally, those who are happy and healthy in themselves, both physically and emotionally are often more successful. Feeling down, unhealthy and sluggish will only leave you feeling super unmotivated and pretty darn rubbish. When you feel good, you feel unstoppable. It’s like having a permanent ‘spring’ in your step, all year round!
3. They’ll inspire you – and you’ll inspire them right back. You want to surround yourself with people who you love, who you are inspired by and who you can look at and think, ‘wow – they’re great and that’s why they’re in my life.’ Whether you work at home by yourself or in an office full of people, having people who inspire you, fuels your fire and your desire to be a better you. If you are surrounded by people who you constantly find yourself rolling your eyes at, you’ll have no desire to grow or be more, you’ll most likely find yourself sinking into a bit of a slump and you’ll just flat line as a result. Soar don’t settle.
4. Being good is good for the soul. Choose to surround yourself with ‘good’ people, people that choose to support good causes, people that obey the law, people that are kind. This kind of relates to point one, if you surround yourself with people that do good deeds, are kind to others, care for the environment and other causes that you care about yourself, you will find yourself becoming a better person for it. If you surround yourself by people who are careless, thoughtless, break the law, litter etc you’ll find this will slowly begin to encroach on your lifestyle. Don’t let it. Being good doesn’t mean being boring, it means being a better person.
5. Positive people are grateful. Be grateful. Many successful people often say that gratitude is the key to success. Reflect upon what you are grateful for. Are you grateful for your friends? Your family? The opportunities life has given you? There is so so so much to be grateful for, from the littlest of things to more significant.
I feel grateful each and every day to have some of the most inspirational, good and positive people around me who are each hugely successful in their own way. I wouldn’t call it a ‘tribe’ as some people do but we do certainly look out for one another and support each other in any way we can. The power of collaboration in modern business is limitless and I am a firm believer in that.
I didn’t realise it was International Happiness Day when I wrote this post haha, so it has turned out to be a rather apt subject for today. I hope you can find something to take away from this little post and perhaps feel inspired yourselves.
Photography within this blog post by Jasmine Punter Photography.
Until next time…
Lots of love,